SAFA -The Hang Gliding Federation of Australia has changed to Sports Aviation Federation of Australia (SAFA)
(HGFA)The Hang Gliding Federation of Australia has changed to Sports Aviation Federation of Australia (SAFA)
The Hang Gliding Federation of Australia (HGFA) has evolved and because of this, we are leading our sport into the future with a new name. Our new name is the Sports Aviation Federation of Australia (SAFA) - this was the name preferred by a majority of members.
As members will be aware, the Hang Gliding Federation of Australia (HGFA) conducted a Special General Meeting on 30th May 2019 at the SAFA Office in Melbourne to consider a Special Resolution to evolve our governance structure from an Incorporated Association to a Company Limited by Guarantee.
Why we changed the name from Hang Gliding Federation of Australia to Sports Aviation Federation of Australia.
We wanted to make sure that the chosen name not only took our sport sky high, conveying the adventure to future members, but positions our sport for years to come.
When deciding on a name, we asked members to consider the following three questions and then provide us with their feedback (via the survey)
- Inclusive: Does the name represent all of the types of aircraft, powered/non-powered in our hobby/sport?
- Adventure: Does the name convey the excitement, adventure and freedom of our sport?
- Sustainable: Will the name grow with our sport and support its future?
Once members provided their feedback, the Hang Gliding Federation of Australia (HGFA) Executive followed the following timeline;
- In October 2018, the preferred names were provided by the greater membership and shortlisted by the Executive
- December 2018 an email was sent to all members asking for their feedback
- January 2019 the Executive reviewed the members’ feedback and selected the most popular name
- February 2019 the most preferred name was put to members as part of the formal Special Resolution to transform to a Company Limited by Guarantee.
It was important that our valued members were also given a voice and that they were heard during the decision process. The Sports Aviation Federation of Australia (SAFA) is a name that best reflects the excitement, adventure and freedom of our sport and takes our members soaring into the future.
A total of 656 members voted with 579 for and 77 against. A total of 75% of members who voted was required in order for the Special Resolution to succeed and the final figure was a little over 88%.
Hang Gliding Federation of Australia’s new name- Sports Aviation Federation of Australia
The Sports Aviation Federation of Australia is a name that symbolises inclusion for all our disciplines; those we have today and those that technology might deliver in the years ahead.
This decision confirms a growing desire within our membership to seek out and pursue an as yet untapped potential for our sport - and that promises an exciting future.
As members, you can still access the Hang Gliding Federation of Australia (HGFA) portal via members.hgfa.asn.au. The public facing website is now https://www.safa.asn.au
Now the real fun begins. This is an exciting step for our sport, allowing us to soar sky high and lead the way for sports aviation. We are thrilled that through our member’s input, you are now steering us towards a bright future - the sky is the limit for the Sports Aviation Federation of Australia.